SDLT, CGT, Cyber Crime & Fraud – for residential conveyancers (Ipswich)
Organised by X-Press Legal Services (Norfolk & Suffolk)
SDLT, CGT & Taxation Traps for Residential Conveyancers
Presented by Stephen Desmond
The danger for a property lawyer who is not a tax specialist is that important taxation implications of a property transaction are overlooked.
The course will provide an overview of the basics of property-related taxation. Two key objectives are to help busy conveyancers identify situations where the client would benefit from seeking specialist tax advice and where the conveyancer needs to explain the scope of their expertise as a property lawyer. It will cover the following:
- Is it sufficient to merely say to clients, “We do not advise on tax”?
- How far should your retainer extend when the client might be entitled to claim back an overpayment of SDLT?
- SDLT: Overview of the surcharge on purchase of additional residential properties, such as whether a dwelling is a main residence
- SDLT: New first-time buyer’s exemption (including shared ownership purchases)
- Capital Gains Tax: Second homes and buy-to-let properties, proving property is a main residence, new rules requiring payments to be made on account with effect from 2020
- IHT: Implications for deeds of gifts and transfers at undervalue
- Income Tax: What to consider excluding from your retainer
- Pre-owned asset charge: When a client could be liable for this income tax charge
STEPHEN DESMOND BIO
Stephen Desmond is a non-practising Solicitor. He has delivered more than 1,800 CPD events to lawyers from a variety of backgrounds, with a particular focus on flat and apartment leases and practical solutions. Stephen is a contributing editor to Butterworths Property Law Service, writing on the complex law relating to long and short leases. He also writes on the subject of commercial property.
Cyber Crime & Fraud
Emma Baddaley from Lawyer Checker will discuss the risks associated with the transmission of funds, email modification fraud and other relevant threats which cause concern to law firms.
EMMA BADDALEY BIO
Emma has over 20 years’ experience at senior client facing level, managing relationships with FTSE 100 firms, global data providers and professional service firms. She has worked within legal services overseeing contracts and managing silver circle and mid-sized law firms, working with them consultatively to grown and develop business for mutual benefit.
To book a place on this FREE seminar, contact Ashley Peters: 0330 159 5358 or click on the link below